If we all admit the truth, this is a very touchy subject. There is so much controversy surrounding submissiveness. The Bible clearly tells us wives are to submit to our husbands, but exactly what does that entail? The world’s definition of submission is a person being told what they can and can’t do, allowing themselves to be controlled by another person, or most shockingly, even being tied up or whipped. Wow! The world is so messed up right now.
The Biblical definition of submission is when a wife willingly does what her husband thinks is best. Did you catch that? Submission is not being forced, but doing so out of a willing heart. I am a submissive wife. I willingly let my husband have control of our relationship. This does not mean that he tells me what I can and can not do. He is not my father, but my husband. I allow him to make decisions and follow along with his wishes willingly and lovingly.
Being a submissive wife is such a blessing. Seeing my husband in control is very sexy and attractive. Come on ladies, who doesn’t like for the man to take the lead? As his submissive wife, he is more sensitive to my feelings and emotions. I honestly believe this type of relationship has brought us closer and more connected with each other.
On the other hand, being a submissive wife does not mean that you do not matter. It is not an invitation to be walked all over. The way a submissive relationship works best is when both spouses’ wishes and desires are considered.
We submit to our husbands as a way of showing honor and respect to him as the spiritual head of the household, just like we are supposed to submit to God. Now, sometimes submitting to God seems a lot easier than submitting to your husband, but in the end doing both will bless you and fill you with joy. As one of my favorite celebrities Candace Cameron Bure once said, “I would rather be viewed as weak to the world because I am submissive to my husband…than be weak in the Lord because I submit to the views of the world!”. Wives, we will submit to something. Will it be to the Lord and our husbands, or will it be to the world?
Below are ways that you can submit to your husband today.
- Let him make all the important financial decisions for your house.
- Work together on all important issues, but allow him to have the final decision.
- Let him be the spiritual head of the household.
- Acknowledge that God is the one who has placed your husband in this role.
- Show respect to your husband in all things, even when sharing your opinion.
- Resist your desire to take control.
- Always pray for your husband.
- Never undermine your husband as head of the household.
- Put him above everyone and everything (except Christ).
- Willingly give all of yourself to your husband and enjoy showing your love intimately.
- Listen intently to him.
- Humble yourself and show him grace.
- Do not trash talk your husband. Always lift him up to everyone.
- Make time for your husband.
Of course before we can do any of this we must first submit to God. This will give us the motivation we need to lovingly and willingly submit to our husband.